Top Security Executive International
This is the senior-most international security position in the organization with direct line responsibility. This position does not have domestic security accountabilities, but is domiciled in the United States. This position is accountable for developing, implementing and directing a responsible company-wide international security program.
• Directs the international security staff in identifying, developing, implementing and maintaining security processes across the organization to reduce risks, respond to incidents, and limit exposure to liability in order to reduce financial loss to the organization.
• Within the international operations of the organization, identifies significant security risks, designs and implements strategies and programs to prevent and reduce loss of the organization's assets.
• Through subordinate site managers operating in an international environment or facility, coordinates and implements site security, operations and activities to ensure protection of executives, managers, employees, physical assets, intellectual properties and information assets, while ensuring optimal use of personnel and equipment.
• Develops and implements policies and programs in response to criminal financial loss, crime against persons, sabotage, threats, emergencies, illegal acts, and property or environmental crimes.
• May coordinate the safety of international network and information system environments for the international business units.
• Through subordinate site managers operating in an international environment or facility, may be responsible for network/IS technical security architecture, network and system designs, implementation and management of systems and programs for the prevention of system hacking and virus protection.
• Working with in-country agencies and staff, directs the approach, deployment and execution of investigations, and directs team based systems development efforts.
• Develops business plans for international facilities and maintains close relationships with high-level law enforcement, intelligence and private-sector counterparts to include in-country security and international security agencies.
• Researches and deploys state-of-the-art technology solutions and innovative security management techniques to safeguard the organization's assets.
• Develops consensus within an organization from operational activities and regulations imposed by agencies with regulatory jurisdiction.
Master's degree or international equivalent in an area of study relevant to this position and more than 15 years of experience with a major corporation and/or law enforcement, intelligence, public-service or private-sector security organization; or a Bachelor's degree or international equivalent in an area of study relevant to this position and more than 20 years of experience with a major law enforcement, intelligence, public or private sector-security organization. Must have demonstrated experience and exposure in the international security arena.
About the authors: “CareeerLink” article authors Jerry Brennan and Steve Walker are co-authors of the book Security Careers, published by the Security Executive Council. Brennan is founder of SMR Group, a job-finding resource for security executives. Walker is partner in leading compensation consulting and research firm Foushee Group Inc. Both are content expert faculty for the Council. A new edition of the book will be published spring 2009 and will include more security position descriptions, compensation trending and additional information specific to security career development. SecurityInfoWatch.com site users can purchase the current edition of Security Careers at a discounted price. The information in this article is copyrighted and reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.