Strong pay rates come with strong responsibilities for the senior security training and awareness specialist.
Photo credit: Image and data courtesy Security Executive Council.
The CareerLink articles series is provided courtesy of the Security Executive Council.
Senior Security Training and Awareness Specialist IV
The Senior Security Systems and Awareness Specialist is the most senior individual contributor to the company's awareness and systems program. This individual is responsible for technology solutions for the security website, and he or she initiates new hiring training and termination briefings. He or she creates methodologies to ensure that all levels of employees are aware of current company security information, training and potential threats to the company or individuals within the company. The position also requires the individual to keep informed of any national, regional or local trends in security education and training.
- Assignments are usually self-initiated.
- Determines and pursues courses of action necessary to obtain desired results, and makes recommendations and changes to departmental policies and procedures.
- Work is checked through consultation and agreement, rather than formal review of supervisor.
- Acts as a senior member of a team to implement technology solutions and services for security website, personnel identification, incident reporting, case management and system validation.
- Administers presentation of initial or new hire security briefings, annual refresher, and termination briefings for the organization.
- Accountable for automated administrative system to ensure tracking of briefing attendance.
- Employs a variety of awareness media to keep managers and employees abreast of latest information, personnel, and technical security policies, procedures, trends and issues.
- Communicates with line and staff personnel on potential threats to work environment.
- Through appropriate media devices, ensures line and staff personnel are kept abreast of potential threats, vulnerabilities, and countermeasures germane to work environment.
- Participates in local, regional and national workshops and seminars related to security education and awareness.
- Keeps abreast of hardware and software security applications and their use in the current operating environment.
- Provides input for the development of new security-related orders, manuals, and guides and delivers presentations to organization staff.
- Provides leadership to less experienced Security Awareness/Training Specialists and technicians.
Bachelor's degree in an area of study relevant to this position and more than eight years of experience in emergency management with a law enforcement or public- or private-sector security organization. Certified Security Training Specialist (CSTS) preferred.
About the authors: Jerry Brennan and Steve Walker are co-authors of the book Security Careers, published by the Security Executive Council. Mr. Brennan is founder of SMR Group, a job-finding resource for security executives. Mr. Walker is partner in leading compensation consulting and research firm Foushee Group Inc. Both are content expert faculty for the Council. A new edition of the book will be published this year and will include more security position descriptions, compensation trending and additional information specific to security career development. For information about the Security Executive Council: www.securityexecutivecouncil.com/?sourceCode=std. SIW readers can use this link to purchase the current edition of Security Careers at a discounted price.
The information in this article is copyrighted and reprinted with permission of the Security Executive Council. All rights reserved.