Security Clearance Specialist II
The clearance specialist is responsible for the efficient and effective processing of security clearance administration within specified legislative, procedural and service guidelines supporting all activities relating to clearance applications and aftercare of cleared employees, partners and contractors.
- Reviews electronic security clearance applications for completeness and enters employee security data into the government Electronic Personnel Security Questionnaire software program for transmittal to the Defense Security Service.
- Grants security clearance to personnel in the organization as needed.
- Safeguards classified materials and conducts periodic inspection and inventory of specific project’s classified status.
- Compiles information of a sensitive and confidential nature regarding senior management and the organization for government reporting.
- Meets with federal government agency representatives regarding project issues, personnel clearance, cleared facilities, and other security matters.
Provides management with interpretation of the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual to ensure compliance with government projects and updates the organization’s standard practice procedures when appropriate.
Works closely with management in reviewing government contract requirements.
Bachelor’s degree in an area of study relevant to this position and more than four years of experience in law enforcement or a public- or private-sector security organization.
About the authors: Jerry Brennan and Steve Walker are co-authors of the book Security Careers, published by the Security Executive Council. Mr. Brennan is founder of SMR Group, a job-finding resource for security executives. Mr. Walker is partner in leading compensation consulting and research firm Foushee Group Inc. Both are content expert faculty for the Council. A new edition of the book will be published this year and will include more security position descriptions, compensation trending and additional information specific to security career development. For information about the Security Executive Council: www.securityexecutivecouncil.com/?sourceCode=std. SIW readers can use this link to purchase the current edition of Security Careers at a discounted price.
The information in this article is copyrighted and reprinted with permission of the Security Executive Council. All rights reserved.