Senior Emergency Preparedness Specialist IV
This position is charged with acting as the focal point in developing, implementing, and maintaining the emergency preparedness planning program and in providing leadership and guidance in integrating the emergency response with the continuity of critical business functions. This role is also charged with planning the integration of a series of tasks, procedures, and information that direct actions at the time of the emergency event in order to reduce confusion, improve communications and achieve a timely response to mitigate the risk to people and organization assets.
- Oversees the design, development and maintenance of the organization's emergency preparedness program. This could include: procedure writing; program planning; project design and scheduling; development and delivering training; planning and conducting drills and exercises; designing, developing and maintaining emergency response facilities and equipment.
- Designs, develops, and conducts drills and exercises.
- May manage scenario development.
- May act as the senior team leader to plan, schedule and conduct a wide range of very complex facility and/or site emergency preparedness drills which could include emergency response training drills, medical drills, fire response drills, nuclear incident monitoring drills, and protective action drills.
- Determines the need for emergency plan changes and new procedures and ensures the appropriate format and content guidelines are followed.
- May coordinate with state and local emergency management authorities.
- With expert knowledge of the organization's processes and hazards, interfaces with engineering and operations staff to ensure appropriate development of a facility and/or site-specific hazard assessment and emergency classification procedure.
- Prepares technical reports based on the expert interpretation of analyzed data.
- Provides leadership to less experienced specialists and to technicians through work assignments, schedule monitoring and problem resolution.
- May act as lead person or technical expert on projects.
Bachelor's degree in an area of study relevant to this position and more than eight years of experience in emergency management with law enforcement or a public- or private-sector security organization.
About the authors: Jerry Brennan and Steve Walker are co-authors of the book Security Careers, published by the Security Executive Council. Mr. Brennan is founder of SMR Group, a job-finding resource for security executives. Mr. Walker is partner in leading compensation consulting and research firm Foushee Group Inc. Both are content expert faculty for the Council. A new edition of the book will be published this year and will include more security position descriptions, compensation trending and additional information specific to security career development. For information about the Security Executive Council: www.securityexecutivecouncil.com/?sourceCode=std. SIW readers can use this link to purchase the current edition of Security Careers at a discounted price.
The information in this article is copyrighted and reprinted with permission of the Security Executive Council. All rights reserved.