6. Put manufacturers to the test . Ask your ‘short-list' of three to five to visit you on site and put their solutions to the test. Alternately, consider sending the companies digital video files with challenging scenarios (e.g. real, nuisance and false threats) and ask them to send you back fully analyzed clips that demonstrate features, functionality and performance of the system. If you are able to see exactly how a manufacturer's intelligent video solution works during a ‘real-life' scenario, you will be able to more effectively evaluate its overall merits and capabilities.
7. Choose a feature-rich solution . Construct a detailed list of the features each vendor offers and compare that list to your current and anticipated requirements. Consider feature-rich solutions that offer full video playback capabilities (without the need to integrate with an external DVR), alarm correlation and sensor aggregation, PTZ tracking, multi-camera correlation and full security management from a single GUI. An optimal solution should provide advanced detection and post-alarm scenario management and help reduce your total cost of ownership (TCO).
8. Identify short and long-term needs. Evaluate your short- and long-term needs and requirements and invest in a system that will grow and adapt as your business evolves. Be sure to select a solution that is flexible and can be easily upgraded to accommodate additional cameras.
9. Consider customer support. Although your intelligent video solution will most likely be supported by a system integrator, it is important that you also consider the support that is offered by the manufacturer. Partnering with an IVA vendor that has a proven track record of success and a reputation for service excellence will help ensure the successful deployment and longevity of your solution.
10. Stay abreast of trends. Finally, never get too comfortable in this fast-paced and ever-evolving industry. Stay abreast of trends and developments and continue to educate yourself on the latest technological advancements in IVA. The more you know and understand, the better equipped you will be to make an ‘intelligent' decision on how to choose an optimal IVA solution for your security and business needs.
Yossi Massafi is general manager of DreamBox, a division of Magal-Senstar Inc., which specializes in its intelligent CCTV platform. Massafi has more than 10 years experience in the security industry. Prior to joining DreamBox, he served as director of NiceVision Americas Customer Services at NICE Systems.