Are you training new security salespeople? Are you a new business owner yourself? The following tips can help your sales team represent themselves and your brand the right way. They don’t get much time to start with; research says people typically have seven seconds to make a good first impression. For a doorknocker, a bad impression kicks them back to the curb.
- Wear proper dress attire. Everyone door-knocking in the field must have a unified, professional look. Polo shirts that feature your company’s logo are a great idea. If your rep is wearing a hat, make sure it also has the company logo on it.
- Bring proper identification. This will assure the prospective customer that your rep is part of a reputable business. It gains credibility at the door.
- Leave their comfort zone. Each company has a different way of going to market. However, you train your sales force to pitch your products and services, so they must show confidence at the door! They should speak clearly and believe in their presentation. Inspiration can’t be faked.
- Thick skin is required. Knocking on a stranger’s door isn’t easy. Rejection is inevitable. But they can’t fear a door getting slammed in their face. Be professional, be polite, and more times than not, they’ll get the same in return – whether the homeowner has actual interest or not.
- Support the stance that a security system is important. Have your reps mix in an industry statistic as part of their pitch. Here’s one: the Cromwell-Olson-Avary study found that 90 percent of convicted burglars said they would avoid homes with alarm systems. (source: ESA)
- Once a sale is made, ask for referrals. Can’t hurt to cast that net, right? After all, the customer just completed a positive experience with you. The benefits of their system are still fresh in their mind, and a referral might even reassure themselves of their buying decision.
- Make another stop. It’s important to get to the next sale, but customer service is the key to any successful business. Have your rep visit the home a week later – deliver an extra yard sign or window stickers and check if they’re happy with their system.