The security week that was: 10/23/09

CCTV splinters

IMS reported that Bosch is tops in CCTV and video encoder market share in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA). They have 9 percent of the market share for video surveillance equipment in that region, with the next closest company having about 6 percent.

Congratulations to Bosch, but what this really tells me is how splintered the CCTV market is. If the market leader has 9 percent of the market, and the second company has 6 percent, then you probably have some other competitors with similar market share of a few percent points, and then the rest of the hundreds of companies are fighting for one percentage point or so! As I understand it, the U.S. market is similarly splintered, although the market leaders might change positions some.

I wonder how long that kind of diversity will be sustained in the market before you start to see some companies gobble up others until there is a real category behemoth (3 percentage points puts Bosch in the lead, but they’re not so far ahead that I’d say they are truly dominating the space). Is diversity good for the industry (I tend to think so)? Does diversity have negative effects too? Probably so; I think the fact that Microsoft is so dominant probably sped up the adoption of personal computers. What are the drivers that would lead to the creation of a truly market dominant CCTV-surveillance company?

Speaking of video companies and acquisitions, GVI announced that it is going private and is being acquired by an equity firm. Chairman Steve Walin will speak with SIW about this while we’re at ISC East next week, so look for an update on this Samsung Electronics partner.

Hear from top aviation security pros
Webinar addresses employee access control in the complex airport environment

On Nov. 5, 2009, I’m holding a webinar with Richard Duncan, CPP (aviation security director at Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport) and Lori Beckman (president of Aviation Security Consulting Inc. and the former aviation security director for Denver International Airport). We’re going to talk about how the U.S.’s busiest airport handles employee access control (Richard’s presentation) and how the American Association of Airline Executives is working to develop workable solutions for biometric identifications (Lori’s presentation). Now this might sound like it is just relevant for airport pros, but I think if you are anywhere in our industry, this content will interest you and be informative. The thing about airports is that what they develop in security programs and policies can sometimes shape efforts in all of corporate security. Register today: www.securityinfowatch.com/webinars/airports

In other news
Don’t carry that bomb!, Anixter and network cabling, more

‘Legal Side’ expert Ken Kirschenbaum takes a look at a court case that could potentially set a dangerous precedent in terms of alarm company liability. … In our forums, Integrator97 earns a big cookie for so quickly answering a tough Ademco alarm trigger delay question with a sub-$20 solution. … Some 96 percent of Americans support public CCTV. I suspect the other 4 percent are high school students who just read the book 1984. … I reported on some Axis camera improvements you might like if you have ever installed a camera. … DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano addresses cyber security and Unisys releases data from its annual security index; SIW’s Joel Griffin manages to cover both in one story.

Security products and technology distribution company Anixter has launched a new program for education and distribution of network infrastructure cabling. Part of the message is the value of Cat6. … I’m totally perplexed, but a Texas company is going to protect ships from piracy with a “giant wall of water”. I can’t find contact info for this company, so if you know them, please have them call. I want to know how this works. … Doing a favor or not? Lesson in this odd story is if you find what you think is a bomb or IED, don’t carry it anywhere!

Loading