ATLANTIC CITY, N.J._A man who held police at bay from a shuttle bus outside an Atlantic City casino for nearly six hours overnight has surrendered peacefully, a New Jersey State Police spokesman said Wednesday morning.
The man, who was not identified, was ordered by FBI agents on the scene to strip down to his inner clothing and complied at about 4:45 a.m., said state police Sgt. Stephen Jones.
"He just gave up peacefully," Jones said.
Atlantic City Police Chief John J. Mooney said Showboat security called police shortly after 10:30 p.m. to report there was a man on a shuttle bus with a gun.
The driver fled after scuffling with the man, Mooney said, and a passenger also escaped. Three other people who remained on the bus were released a short time later. There were no injuries.
Jones said the suspect, who had what police believed was an explosive device strapped to his body, had planted a suspicious-looking device in a men's room inside the casino near the House of Blues night club, but it was later determined to be a hoax device, Jones said.
Police K-9 teams swept the casino and the hotel and did not find anything else suspicious, Jones said.
The casino, which had been closed down during the standoff, was allowed to reopen shortly after 5 a.m.