Jan. 14--PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Rhode Island Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin's office said Tuesday that it is joining with other states' attorneys general in an investigation "into the scope of the Target data breach."
In a news release, Kilmartin said that Target reported last month that payment card information -- credit and debit card data, customer names and PIN numbers -- of some 40 million customers had been obtained by hackers in November and December. Other data included addresses, phone numbers or email addresses, according to the release.
"Initial reports that approximately 40 million customers were impacted by the Target data breach apparently were just the tip of the iceberg. The more recent announcement that approximately 110 million customers could be at risk is exactly why we need to get to the bottom of how Target allowed its systems to be vulnerable to a breach of this magnitude," Kilmartin said in the news release.
"Putting people's economic security at risk is simply unacceptable. Companies must be more forthcoming when a breach occurs and must take appropriate steps immediately to inform customers as well as provide some type of protection going forward."
Copyright 2014 - The Providence Journal, R.I.