Bellevue, WA. December 4, 2009 -- Laplink Software today announced the release of its latest version of Laplink SafeErase, which eliminates data completely making it safe to recycle or dispose of used hard drives.
SafeErase is specifically designed to make it quick and easy to delete private data - eliminating any chance of unauthorized access to your personal information. Whether individual files, folders, or an entire hard drive, SafeErase makes certain that confidential data is permanently deleted and unable to be recovered. Laplink SafeErase also comes with pre-defined deletion profiles, as well as the ability to let the user delete browser data and temporary internet files safely, simply, and forever.
"When you sell, return or recycle your old computer, the data on it is almost never fully deleted. Even when hard disks are reformatted, data thieves using data recovery software easily obtain your private information such as customer data, financial data, construction plans or even your passwords," said Thomas Koll, Laplink's CEO.
SafeErase utilizes proprietary methods for deleting data permanently, meeting standards set by the U.S. Department of Defense and international organizations dedicated to preserving privacy.
"Consumers and businesses are setting up replacement computers every day, many by using our PCmover software," continued Koll. "But the hard drive in the old computer is an open invitation to identity thieves, unless it is physically destroyed or the data permanently deleted using a product like SafeErase."
PCmover® is the top-selling softwareto move or "migrate" from an old PC to a new one and is the only software capable of automatically transferring data, settings, and programs. With PCmover, there is no need to reinstall programs, no need to find old CDs or serial numbers, because PCmover does all the work.
"PCmover, by making it easy to set up a new PC, has become a very successful product," said Koll. "Since our customers are moving from an old PC to a new one, many of those customers will be disposing or recycling their old PC - and that is why we offer SafeErase."
Unique Features of Laplink SafeErase:
• Total Erase: With this function, a whole computer (including its system partition) can be securely deleted, without the need for boot media. This process begins automatically after restarting the system.
• Internet Security: With Laplink SafeErase, itis even possible to delete sensitive internet data. The various internet browsers are automatically displayed, and all you have to select is what internet data you would like to delete (e.g., cookies).
• Pre-defined deletion profile: Laplink SafeErase has pre-defined deletion profiles, enabling the user to simply repeat commonly used deletion processes and thus increase efficiency. The program also saves the type of data to be deleted, so that the user can simply select the process and the job will automatically be executed.
• Quick deletion: Writing over data with zeros is a method whereby less sensitive data can be deleted at great speed. In addition, Laplink SafeErase offers five other methods of deletion - each one differing in the number of overwrite passes and the type of overwriting employed. Along with standard deletion procedures used by the U.S. Department of Defense, the Gutmann Methods are also available, meeting or exceeding the highest standards for security.
• Deletion of system drives: Individual system drives can be selected and securely deleted in offline mode.
• Support of multi-core processors: Deletion speed is increased dramatically as SafeErase takes advantage of multi-core CPUs available in many newer computers.
• Detailed reports: It is particularly important for administrators that they have some kind of record of what data was deleted, and with which method. Reports can be made anonymously, to maintain data protection standards and to hide file names.
Prices and availability
Laplink SafeErase is now available to purchase as a download at www.laplink.com for $29.95. Special pricing is available when purchasing SafeErase along with PCmover.