Silicon Valley, July 15, 2009 – Proxim Wireless Corporation, a leading provider of end-to-end broadband wireless systems that deliver the quadruple play, today announced its new 4G Backhaul product lines – the Tsunami QB-8100 point-to-point (PtP) and the Tsunami MP-8100 point-to-multipoint (PtMP). Both products exceed the International Telecommunications Union’s (ITU’s) performance requirements for 4G. The new Tsunami product family combines MIMO and OFDM technologies with Proxim’s Wireless Outdoor Routing Protocol (WORP) to provide PtP and PtMP backhaul for carriers, WISPs and government entities.
“The only great truth in wireless – as is the case with every other area of high tech – is the requirement for improved performance (throughput and capacity) at a lower price,” said Craig Mathias, a Principal with the mobile and wireless advisory firm Farpoint Group. “With 4G now on the horizon, the situation only becomes more urgent. Proxim's new Tsunami products build on a long history of innovation and price/performance leadership, and are going to help carriers, WISPs, and others meet the challenge of 4G deployments and offer amazing benefits to their customers.”
“The demand for 4G broadband networks continues to be driven by the explosion of video over wireless networks, the demand for last mile access in emerging economies and the need for rural connectivity globally as governments invest in broadband to drive development beyond metro areas. With these new products, Proxim is enabling carriers and WISPs to cost-effectively deploy true 4G networks with enough bandwidth to support today’s demanding applications,” said Pankaj Manglik, President and CEO of Proxim Wireless. “At Proxim we have been delivering wireless solutions the world’s largest carriers for nearly 20 years, and these new product lines expand our commitment to the carrier market moving forward.”
Improving on a Legacy of Carrier Wireless Backhaul Innovation
Proxim has over 20 years of wireless innovation, and has been providing PtP and PtMP radios to carriers of all sizes for many years. With these new products, Proxim is offering true 4G backhaul solutions that exceed the ITU requirements for 4G throughput speeds. As a result, these products provide the high performance necessary to backhaul a wider variety of outdoor video, voice and data applications, including:
- Wireless backhaul for cellular voice and data – Very low latency over long distances, eliminating expensive recurring leased line charges and delivering the capability to backhaul the increasing connectivity needs of handhelds.
- Last mile/rural broadband wireless access (BWA) – Competitive broadband service access alternative to DSL or cable for residences and T1 or Ethernet for businesses, including high-performance outdoor access. Our MIMO-enabled, low-cost CPEs support WISP business models all over the world.
- Wireless video surveillance – Capable of supporting more high-definition IP-surveillance video streams simultaneously with a single CPE. Used for monitoring city streets, airports, bridges, seaports, transportation hubs, offices and warehouses.
The Tsunami QB-8100 Point-to-Point (PtP) and Tsunami MP-8100 Point-to-Multipoint (PtMP)
Both the Tsunami QB-8100 PtP and the Tsunami MP-8100 PtMP provide true 4G wireless backhaul with the following features.
Performance and Range
- 300 Mbps and 600 Mbps PtP and PtMP systems. Performance is per link for PtP applications, and per sector for PtMP applications.
- Range in excess of 70 kilometers.
- Very low latency of the order of 1 to 2 milliseconds.
- Non-line-of-sight capable utilizing OFDM and enhanced MIMO techniques.
Widest Range of Frequencies
- Operates in licensed, unlicensed, and public safety frequency bands with support for 2.3-2.5 GHz, and 4.9-6.08 GHz available today. 3.3-3.7 Ghz and 4.4 Ghz will be available in the next phase.
Advanced Hardware and Software Technologies
- Wireless backhaul products utilizing MIMO 3X3 technology.
- Dual Gigabit Ethernet ports with POE In/Out to power video surveillance cameras or other radios.
- Integrated anteannas or split design with external antennas.
- Carrier-grade security (AES 128 and Radius Authentication).
- Premium features such as QoS, VLANs, bridging and routing.
- Network Management for RF planning and configuration.
Early Raves from Customers Worldwide
“We have been testing the Tsunami MP-8100, and I can say that with these new products, Proxim has produced an ideal solution for the video surveillance market by introducing the highest performance point-to-multipoint system we’ve seen,” said Tim Stewart, President of Netunwired, a provider of wireless backhaul for broadband networks. (USA)
“Proxim’s Tsunami QB-8100 is among the best wireless backhaul products we have ever tested, and is an ideal option for backhauling 4G networks,” said Mr. Huang, Senior Engineer, Tatung Telecom. (Taiwan)
“The MP-8100 is a large step forward in the delivery of low-cost, high-capacity radios. Proxim is clearly displaying their ability to develop new technology and future-proof platforms to allow Wireless ISPs to compete with advances in DSL and ADSL,” said Daniel McFadden, IT Manager of North West Electronics. (Ireland)
“With the Tsunami MP-8100 and QB-8100 solutions, Proxim gives system integrators of all types and sizes a platform with the flexibility to support a multitude of applications,” said Sean Muir, Senior RF Engineer – Network Design,of Networks by Wireless, Ltd. (UK)
“Having been associated with Proxim and its portfolio of products since the late 1990's, I can say that they have yet again demonstrated leading edge thinking, this time in the field of single cell architectures. We look forward to the continuing successful project deliveries with this product launch,” said Neil Metcalfe, CEO of Networks by Wireless, Ltd. (UK)
The 300 Mbps data rate Proxim Tsunami QB-8100 point-to-point products and MP-8100 point-to-multipoint products are available immediately. Both product lines are certified for deployment in the Americas, Europe and Asia.
The 600 Mbps data rate Proxim Tsunami series products are expected to be available by the end of Q4, 2009.
List pricing for the Proxim Tsunami QB-8100 products begins at $6,599 and list pricing for the Tsunami MP-8100 products begins at $1,549.
More info: www.proxim.com