THOROFARE, N.J., Dec. 6, 2010 – Checkpoint Systems, a leading global supplier of shrink management, merchandise visibility and apparel labeling solutions for the retail industry and its supply chain, today announced its latest innovation for retail loss prevention and security: the Interactive Public View monitor (IPV).
The IPV is the first public view monitor designed with retail integration and connectivity in mind. It combines the latest in imaging and display technologies at an affordable price point that will allow retailers to expand their use of monitors to creatively address branding, security and safety needs.
"Public view monitors are ubiquitous in retail environments today," noted Farrokh Abadi, President, Checkpoint Systems’ Shrink Management Solutions business. "Monitors are found at store entrances, in customer service departments, high-shrink aisles, restroom corridors and other areas with strong theft-deterrent needs."
"The new Interactive Public View monitor takes monitoring technology a step further by enabling retailers to better leverage their video surveillance investment," he continued. "Customizing IPV responses to a variety of nearby conditions makes the entire loss prevention strategy more effective – enabling higher ROI and improving theft deterrence throughout the store. The ability to support multiple inputs and the addition of integrated wireless communication are industry firsts."
The IPV uses customized graphics as well as audible and visual alerts to draw attention to the monitor or deliver messaging related to an alarm or event. In addition to traditional public view applications, such as displaying live video at a store entry or exit, an IPV installation offers much more:
- Motion-activated graphic displays welcoming shoppers to a specific department, and providing a sense of active store security.
- Connection to smart fixtures such as Checkpoint’s ShelfAlert or ShowSafe, which can trigger a message that customer service will be sent to assist the shopper and provides immediate intervention during possible ORT events.
- Activation by an EAS system produces a custom response that includes an on-screen image, LED light and/or audible tone, which enhances overall EAS program effectiveness.
- Motion detection near fire exits can activate a reminder message regarding active perimeter alarms, while the live video display deters push-outs.
- Low-voltage, power-saving design can affordably retrofit into any environment – usually without the need for an electrician.
The IPV provides a stylish look that can be adapted to blend in with, or stand out from, the store’s décor, depending on retailer preferences.
"As the company that first revolutionized in-store display technology with the flat public view monitor, we are pleased to offer yet another innovation to the industry," concluded Abadi. "Recognizing the need for today’s retailers to get top-value from all of their security measures, we designed the IPV to seamlessly integrate with a variety of store systems. This ultimately will increase the effectiveness and return on investment of each by allowing the proven benefits incorporated into the IPV platform to be shared among the systems. This approach provides a welcoming atmosphere and sense of safety to honest shoppers while alerting potential thieves to the presence of sophisticated and functioning store security.