San Diego, Calif. -- Steve D. Chupa, CPP, was elected by the Board of Directors of ASIS International (ASIS) -- the preeminent organization for security management professionals worldwide -- to become its president for 2007. Chupa succeeds Jeff M. Spivey, CPP, PSP, who will become ASIS chairman of the board.
In their leadership positions, both Chupa and Spivey will also serve on the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors, a group that directs the activities of ASIS between meetings of the full Board. The ASIS Board of Directors elects the Executive Committee annually. The vote took place at a Board meeting at the ASIS International 52nd Annual Seminar and Exhibits being held this week (September 25-28) in San Diego.
Sworn in at the same time as new members to the Board, the 2007 ASIS Executive Committee is comprised of five people:
- Jeffrey M. Spivey, CPP, PSP, Chairman of the Board; he is the President of Security Risk Management, Inc.
- Steve D. Chupa, CPP, President; he is Director of Security, Worldwide Security Group, Johnson & Johnson.
- Timothy L. Williams, CPP, President-Elect; he is Vice President of Corporate and Systems Security for Nortel Networks.
- Michael R. Cummings, CPP, Treasurer; he is Director of Loss Prevention Services for Aurora Health Care.
- Joseph R. Granger, CPP, Secretary; he is Security Manager, United Space Alliance.
Newly-elected Board members include:
- Marene N. Allison, Vice President of Security for Medco.
- Geoffrey T. Craighead, CPP, Vice President, High Rise & Real Estate Services for Securitas Security Services USA.
- David C. Davis, CPP, Director, Division Security for Northrop Grumman.
- Gregory L. Sanders, CPP, Security Advisor for United Nations Development Programme.
- Richard E. Widup, Jr., CPP, Senior Director, Security Operations/Corporate Security for Purdue Pharma LP.
Other members of the 2007 Board include:
- Lawrence K. Berenson, CPP, Security Director, L-3 Communications Corp.
- Eduard J. Emde, CPP, Head of Safety and Security Sections, European Space Agency.
- Linda F. Florence, CPP, Physical Security Manager, Sprint Corporation Security.
- Judith G. Matheny, CPP, Vice President for Corporate Security, U.S. Region, Lehman Brothers.
- Peter J. Mazzaroni, CPP, Manager, Site Services, Roche Carolina.
- James E. McNeil, CPP, Security Administrator, Mayo Clinic.
"These directors represent a wide array of fields and concentrations across the broad security spectrum, lending a unique dynamic to the leadership of ASIS as we continue to grow globally and define our role in the security profession," said 2006 ASIS President, Jeff M. Spivey, CPP, PSP. "Our organization and the profession as a whole will be well served by their breadth of knowledge, experience and demonstrated commitment to the security issues that impact us all."
The newly-elected Board and officers will assume their positions on January 1, 2007.