An illustration of Tamron's M13VG850IR lens.
Photo credit: (Image courtesy Tamron)
March 28, 2012, ISC West, Las Vegas, NV — Tamron Co., Ltd. (headquarters: Saitama City; President: Morio Ono) proudly announced the development of the Model M13VG850IR, an 8-50mm, F/1.6 telephoto Vari-Focal lens compatible with 3 mega-pixels for high-image quality in the full visible and near-IR spectrums.
Imaging sensors have increased in pixel density following the need for higher-quality images in the security market. Mega-pixel cameras are also being used more commonly for monitoring at night time. Tamron has developed the Model 13VG850IR (8-50mm, F/1.6), which covers frequently used focal ranges, as the telephoto-type model of the Tamron mega-pixel NIR series. The model offers ultra-high resolution of 3 mega-pixels, and can be used under near-IR light conditions without any degradation in performance. The new lens can be used in conjunction with the standard lens Model M13VM228IR/Model M13VG288IR released last year.
1. High level of optical performance that offers 3 mega-pixel compatibility
- The use of an aspherical element, XLD (Extra Low Dispersion) lens, and advanced optical design technology delivers high image quality that is compatible with 3 mega-pixel cameras. This image quality exceeds Full HD 1080p.
- Delivers F/1.6 (Wide) and F/2.0 (Tele) levels of brightness.
2. Delivers mega-pixel image quality, even during NIR shooting
- Existing lenses generally provide lower image quality under near-IR light conditions than under visible light conditions. Tamron believes that if using "Night Mode" results in lower image quality, there will not be much point in installing mega-pixel class cameras. This lens maintains 3 mega-pixel image quality from the visible to near-IR spectrums, which allows shooting video footage without the associated decrease in image quality when the camera switches to "Night Mode". This lens heralds a new era for IR-compatible mega-pixel lenses.
3. 8-50mm covers standard telephoto ranges
- The telephoto-type mega-pixel IR series covers the most frequently used focal ranges, from 8 mm to 50 mm.
4. Wide image circle compatible with 1/2.8" and 1/2.7" format sensors
- 1/2.8"- and 1/2.7"-format compatibility means the lens can be installed in cameras with large sensor sizes.
5. Reduction in chromatic aberration for images with no color smear
- A design that minimizes chromatic aberration has been used to produce images with no color smear.
- The most advanced design analysis techniques have been used to prevent reflections occurring on the lens' surface, which would affect image quality, while multiple-layer coating helps to produce crystal-clear images with minimal lens flare and ghosting.
6. High-precision, high-quality structure designed to maximize performance
- The precision of each and every part and component has been raised, and the most advanced production technology available has been used. Structural design faults that lead to image degradation such as image displacement and one-sided blur have been eliminated.
7. Offers revolutionary mega-pixel quality while maintaining a compact size