SAN JOSE, Calif. – April 10, 2012 – Cisco today announced enhancements to its 5900 Series Embedded Services Router (ESR)product line, including the 5940 ESR and 5915 ESR, to bring improved performance and added features to the ruggedized routers. The updates expand the capabilities of Cisco Mobile Ready Netsolution architecture, establishing a scalable mobile network that connects organizational resources with a high degree of security to connect users how, when and where they need.
The Cisco 5900 Series ESRs are the next generation of mobile and embedded networking, adding flexibility for industrial, commercial, military, homeland security and emergency response applications in even the harshest environments. The product line incorporates Cisco IOS Software with Cisco Mobile Ready Net capabilities to provide highly secure data, voice and video communications to stationary and mobile network nodes across both wired and wireless links. When combined with UHF, VHF, Wi-Fi and other radio platforms, these routers enable transparent roaming over multiple wireless networks, without requiring a connection to central infrastructure. The Cisco 5900 Series ESRs extend router functionality with security, link optimization and collaboration in one compact form factor.
Updates to Cisco 5900 Series ESRs include:
• IP Multiplexing, a satellite link optimization technology that improves bandwidth efficiency for customers using satellite links with packet-per-second constraints.
• Improved performance of up to 30 percent on Cisco 5940 ESR.
• WAAS Express, a cost-effective, transparent and easy-to-deploy WAN optimization solution that improves limited bandwidth link performance.
• Extended number of Call Manager Express end points for Cisco 5940 ESR to support larger teams of up to 150 individuals.
• Dynamic Link Exchange Protocol (DLEP), a link and route optimization technology, has been added to address the challenges faced when merging IP routing and radio frequency (RF) communications. DLEP is the latest protocol in the Radio Aware Routing (RAR) family.
• To demonstrate Cisco's commitment to improving product quality and security for all customers, Cisco 5940 ESR is Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS), Common Criteria, USGv6 and IPv6 Ready Logo certified.
• In cooperation with industry leading partners, Cisco now offers fully supported networking applications such as Cisco Unified Communications Manager (UCM) to support embedded deployments with the Cisco 5940 ESR. Cisco has verified UCM on both the Extreme Engineering Solutions XPedite7332 and the Emerson Network Power CPCI7203 single board computers. Both of these platforms have been certified by VMware and are included in the VMware Compatibility Guide.
• Together, the Cisco 5940 ESR and a single board computer running UCM create Advanced Networking Nodes from which mobile ad hoc networks can be built for military, public safety, energy, industrial, transportation and smart grid applications.
• In addition, Cisco 5940 ESR customers now have more choices with VMware vSphere, which has been expanded to cover a broad range of embedded processors, I/O devices and servers.