OK, I admit it – I like to watch reality TV. But I’m not referring to those shows that immediately jumped into your mind. Nope, instead of American Idol, Survivor, and America’s Got Talent, I am watching the REAL reality shows, such as Deadliest Catch, Mythbusters, Ice Road Truckers, Operation Repo and the like.
If you are into the REAL reality television, and you are into seeing security in action, here’s a quick list of security-related reality shows I have been watching, plus a bonus new drama:
1. Mall Cops: Mall of America on TLC
2. Border Wars on National Geographic (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/border-wars/all/Overview) -- This show follows the officers and agents of U.S. Customs and Border Protection as they work to cover all ground near the busiest border crossings from the air and on the ground to fight terrorism and combat illegal immigration. Check out this drug bust:
3. Campus PD on G4 (http://g4tv.com/campuspd/index/): This show takes viewers along for the ride with officers on duty on college campuses; showing us first-hand the crazy things that go on from policing parties to security issues. Here’s one party busted:
4. America’s Most Wanted on Fox (http://www.amw.com/): We all know what this one’s about, and we have probably all seen it, as it is the longest-running program of any kind in the history of the Fox television network. That said, you sure don’t want to see any of your employees on this show!
5. DEA on SpikeTV (http://www.spike.com/show/26319) – Spike TV was given exclusive access to follow a group of Special Agents and Task Force Officers in the DEA Detroit division as they risk their lives daily in the ongoing battle against illegal drugs. The show was recently cancelled, but it is still airing and available online.
1. CCTV Cities – Viewers get insight into the CCTV control rooms and police forces that tackle crime across the UK. Every episode, the crime levels of a British city is investigated using CCTV footage and police interviews. Search for it online and you will find full episodes.
2. Border Security: Australia’s Frontline – Go behind the desk of Australia's Immigration, Customs, and Quarantine departments with this often emotional, always dramatic reality show. See how the professionals guard the borders of the land down under. This show is obviously a foreign one, but the episodes are available online, just search it.
In Security on TBS – This is not a reality show, but it may be fun watching for you security folks: While trying to live their own lives, two sisters head a private security team to protect the prominent and elite. They try to juggle running a business while handling family issues and concerns.
And here are some more from the Law Enforcement genre (Search for them online to find episodes):
- Traffic Cops on BBC
- Dallas SWAT on A&E
- Fugitive Strike Force on Discovery
- Manhunters: Fugitive Task Force on A&E
- Animal Cops on Animal Planet
- The First 48 on A&E
- Ride-Along on Fox (pilot)
- COPS on Fox
- Police Women of Broward County on TLC