NORMAN - An Alcott Middle School student could face disciplinary action after the school's video surveillance camera caught him setting a fire in a trash can Tuesday.
Superintendent Joe Siano said a teacher noticed smoke coming from between the school's two gyms Tuesday afternoon. Fire crews put out the fire after a call from the office staff, he said.
Siano said the damage still is being assessed, but there is a considerable amount of smoke and heat-related damage to an area that includes a locker room, rest room and a shower area.
"No students were ever in danger," Siano said. "The school was not even evacuated."
Siano said after the investigation is complete, the student's actions will be addressed through the district's disciplinary procedures.