LONDON (AP) - Authorities are stepping up security for the new Premier League soccer season following last month's terrorist bombings in London.
"The safety of supporters is our top priority and, in the light of current circumstances, additional safety measures such as increased bag searches are being implemented," the Football Association said in a statement.
The FA said no specific threats had been made. The season opens Saturday.
Fifty-six people were killed in four bombings on the London transport network on July 6. Further attempted bombings on July 21 failed when the explosives didn't go off.
The FA suggested that fans arrive early at stadiums because of the extra security checks, and urged them to avoid taking bags with them.
The London Evening Standard newspaper reported that extra measures would be taken at London clubs Arsenal, Chelsea, Charlton, Fulham, West Ham and Tottenham, including closer monitoring of stewards and match-day officials to prevent "bogus employees" from infiltrating the grounds.