Vivint launched its own smart home platfrom this week dubbed "Vivint Sky."
Photo credit: (Photo courtesy Vivint)
On the heels of tech giants Google and Apple making known their intentions to enter the smart home market, Utah-based Vivint on Tuesday launched its own smart home platform called "Vivint Sky." According to a statement, Vivint Sky will enable users to control their lights, thermostat, door locks, as well as monitor video cameras through their smartphone, laptop or tablet.
Serving as the hub of the new system is the Vivint SkyControl panel, which features proprietary cloud technology that the company said has the ability to learn from a homeowner’s behaviors and make intelligent suggestions to add new levels of convenience and control over the home. For example, the company’s automatic HVAC control can learn from the homeowner’s daily patterns to make decisions that help increase the home’s energy efficiency.
"Vivint Sky transforms the home automation experience by providing an unprecedented level of control over the home," said Todd Pedersen, co-founder and CEO of Vivint."While we have more than 800,000 consumers already using our home automation technology, this is just the beginning. Our next step is to boldly redefine the smart home with intelligence that eliminates the burden of monitoring the home from the homeowner. With Vivint Sky, we have created a truly human smart home system that learns from you."
In addition, Vivint said that its’ SkyControl panel features completely redesigned hardware and software developed by the company, including a larger touchscreen and a new operating system. The company has also launched the Vivint Sky mobile app for iOS and Android.
Features of the Vivint SkyControl panel include:
- Larger Touchscreen – Homeowners can enjoy improved visibility with a seven-inch color LCD display, one of the largest in the industry. The Vivint SkyControl panel also features capacitive touch, which means it is controlled by the light touch of a finger, as opposed to resistive touchscreens that operate on the basis of applied pressure.
- On-Screen Video – From the panel, cloud or Vivint Sky app, homeowners can stream live high-definition videos from their installed video cameras. For the first time, homeowners can also watch recorded video clips on the Vivint SkyControl panel using a new Wi-Fi-based DVR solution.
- Enhanced Security and Reliability – The SkyControl panel provides a more secure solution by operating on its own private Wi-Fi network, with a firewall independent of the homeowner’s network. All communication is fully protected with industry-leading encryption technology. The SkyControl panel also relies on cellular technology to ensure the system is always available in the event of Wi-Fi disruptions.
- Improved Z-Wave Performance – The SkyControl panel boasts improved range for Z-Wave, a wireless technology that enables Vivint’s home automation products to securely communicate with each other in the home, as well as remotely through a laptop or smartphone.
- Faster Updates – The Vivint SkyControl panel’s broadband connection enables homeowners to continue to add intelligent capabilities through automatic system updates on the panel.
- Emergency Assistance – By pushing the Vivint SkyControl panel’s emergency button, homeowners can engage in two-way communication with emergency dispatch professionals in times of distress using the panel’s built-in microphone and speaker.
Vivint said that will continue to add intelligent capabilities to the SkyControl panel to advance smart learning in the home.
The free Vivint Sky app introduces new features for homeowners, including:
- Brand New Interface – To improve remote monitoring, the Vivint Sky app features a new intuitive, easy-to-use interface. Users simply swipe to adjust various areas of the home in real-time.
- Proactive Notifications – With automatic notifications, Vivint customers can stay informed on the status of their home, such as when a door is unlocked, a window is open or their family members arrive home.
- Instant Response – The Vivint Sky app communicates with the panel instantaneously, ensuring commands are carried out within seconds. For instance, when a homeowner arms the system, door locks are locked immediately. Home activity, such as doors opening or closing, is also immediately reflected in the app to help homeowners better monitor and control their home.
- Multiple System Functionality – Vivint customers with more than one system can now log in with one account and switch seamlessly between multiple systems with one swipe.
- Shared Entry Access – Customers can also easily give their friends and family access to their home. Vivint customers simply enter the friend or family member’s phone number or email address in the Vivint Sky app.