CAMARILLO, Calif. â€” Zebra Technologies, a worldwide leader in card printing and bar code labeling solutions, today announced that the Zebra P330i plastic card printer now offers an optional integrated smart card encoding solution. The new encoder option supports the ISO/IEC 7816 standard for contact smart cards. This new option is available immediately.
The Zebra P330i is a single-sided, full color plastic card printer/encoder that is extremely feature-rich and meets the needs of a wide variety of applications and industries with proven reliability for mission-critical applications in corporations, government agencies, educational institutions and retail environments.
â€œA one-cable, total Zebra solution is a big advantage for those who install and support smart card printers/encoders,â€ stated Bob Anderson, Zebra Card Printer Solutions director of marketing. â€œIt removes the conflicts of multiple vendors, eliminates the need for multiple cables between the printer and the computer, and simplifies the synchronization between printing and encoding. Networking support expands the benefits even further.â€
The combination of Ethernet and single I/O connectivity has several potential benefits:
- Improved efficiency â€“ multiple users can share a single printer/encoder
- Increased flexibility â€“ networking allows the printer/encoder to be placed virtually any distance from the host computer
- Conformance to standards â€“ many companies have standardized on Ethernet for printer connections. The card printer/encoder no longer has to be an exception
- Greater physical security â€“ the card printer and supplies can be located in a secured room even if the operator(s) creating the cards are not
- Enhanced card security â€“ the above benefits make the issuance of smart cards easier, potentially increasing the number of customers that choose smart cards to increase the security of their card programs
The new contact smart card encoder option is one of many user convenience features in the Zebra P330i card printer. Others include USB or Ethernet connections, an LCD display, translucent covers for print viewing and a patented cleaning cartridge. Advanced RFID technology makes P330i printer configuration quick and easy, with automatic ribbon type detection and correct setup for quality card printing. The integrated card output hopper slides back into the enclosure when not in use to avoid being lost or damaged.
The P330i with direct contact smart card encoder is presently available worldwide. The optionâ€™s suggested retail price is $795 (â‚¬ 665).
Information about Zebra Technologies can be found at www.zebra.com.