Supreme Security Systems recently helped minimize fire damage at Terrace Jewelers, a New Jersey based jewelry store. Local authorities and store owner Wayne Ferdinand were alerted to the fire following an alarm triggered by a security device from Supreme. The blaze was quickly contained by local firefighters, and Terrace Jewelers officially reopened for business April 30, 2005.
The fire was initiated by a candle flame after store hours. The smoke from the fire likely triggered motion sensors, which were installed to monitor and prevent break-ins and burglaries, but not intended for fire detection and prevention. The sensors then alerted Supreme Security Systems' Central Monitoring Station and local authorities.
"This type of incident can be devastating to retail stores such as ours," said Wayne Ferdinand, owner of Terrace Jewelers. "One fire can completely wipe out the entire inventory or destroy the show floor."
The store endured mostly minor cosmetic damage and the majority of the inventory remained intact and undamaged. Ferdinand has been a customer of Supreme since he opened Terrace Jewelers four years ago.
"While it's important to stress that motion detectors should never replace fire/life safety devices, we were pleased that we were able to help Mr. Ferdinand and Terrace Jewelers safely endure the damage and continue on with business," said David Bitton, vice president and COO of Supreme Security Systems.