As a hiring manager in the dynamic and competitive landscape of the security industry, I know that finding top talent isn’t the easiest task; however, a trade show like GSX can be a treasure trove of potential candidates, industry insights, and networking opportunities.
This is a golden opportunity for hiring managers to scout top talent, forge valuable connections, and gain insights into the latest industry trends.
Here are eight ways to ensure you make the most out of this bustling event from a recruiting perspective, while making sure to broach the topic in a subtle way, so as to not spook candidates in front of their boss, team, etc. By following these tips, you will be well-equipped to navigate the event successfully and bolster your team with exceptional individuals who can drive your company’s continued success.
1. Preparation is key: Before you step foot on the show floor, have a clear strategy in mind. Define your hiring goals, the positions you are looking to fill, and the skills you value most. Research the exhibitors and attendees to identify companies and individuals who align with your needs. Look up when special events and educational sessions are occurring so you can watch candidates of interest presenting, doing demos, or networking.
2. Elevate your brand presence: Set up an eye-catching booth that represents your company’s culture and values. Consider having interactive displays, videos of current employees talking about their experiences, and engaging materials that showcase your company’s work. A compelling booth attracts not only potential candidates, but also curious professionals interested in learning about your organization.
3. Leverage social media: Announce your presence at GSX on your company’s social media channels. Engage with potential candidates by sharing posts about the positions you are hiring for, your booth (or suite) location, and any exclusive events or talks that your company is hosting. Use event hashtags to increase your visibility and make it easier for attendees to find you.
4. Network with a purpose: GSX is a hub of industry professionals, and your next superstar employee might be one handshake away. Attend networking events, seminars, and workshops related to your industry and the positions you are hiring for. Engage in meaningful conversations, share insights, and be genuinely interested in others. Your networking efforts could lead to quality referrals.
5. Host informative sessions: Consider hosting informational sessions or workshops on topics relevant to the industry. Sharing your expertise not only positions your company as a thought leader, but it also attracts professionals interested in your field. These sessions are excellent opportunities to spot potential candidates who are enthusiastic about the industry.
6. Get creative with recruitment: Consider organizing fun challenges, competitions, or if you are really prepared, on-the-spot interviews at your booth – even if it is just a quick meet-and-greet. This not only piques the interest of passersby, but it also allows you to assess candidates’ skills and quick thinking in real time.
7. Follow up promptly: After the event, promptly follow up with potential candidates with whom you have connected. Share more information about your company, the positions, and next steps in the hiring process. A swift response demonstrates your enthusiasm and professionalism.
8. Evaluate and reflect: Once the dust settles, take the time to evaluate your experience at GSX. What strategies worked well? What could be improved? How can you be more prepared in the future? Use these insights to refine your approach for future events – after all, ISC West is right around the corner.