SANTA CLARA, Calif., October 26, 2015 -- Ambarella, Inc., a leading developer of low-power, HD and Ultra HD video compression and image processing semiconductors, today introduced S3L, a low-power IP camera System-On-Chip (SoC) that enables H.265, or HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding), video encoding in cloud-based home monitoring and mainstream professional IP cameras. S3L leverages Ambarella’s full implementation of H.265 to provide up to twice the video compression of Ambarella’s H.264 encoding technology and deliver outstanding video quality at very low bit rates. This improvement results in cost savings from reduced storage requirements and the ability to stream higher quality video over bandwidth-restricted networks. S3L includes multi-exposure HDR (High Dynamic Range) imaging, 180-degree fisheye lens correction and a high performance CPU for intelligent video analytics.
“Our new S3L SoC family brings the low bit rate benefits of H.265 to cloud-based home monitoring and mainstream professional cameras,” said Chris Day, vice president of marketing and business development at Ambarella. “Following the introduction of our 4K S3 SoC family last year, S3L extends our customer’s performance options to make high-resolution H.265 video even more accessible and cost-effective.”
The S3L family comprises software-compatible SoCs that range from the small foot-print, low-power S3LM SoC with single 16-bit memory, targeting the home monitoring and service provider markets, up to the professional-level S3L SoC with 32-bit memory, 1-GHz ARM® Cortex™-A9 CPU, and 5Mp30 video performance. It includes the capability to encode both H.265 and H.264 for backward compatibility with existing network infrastructure. S3L includes a flexible Linux® SDK (Software Development Kit) that allows IP camera manufacturers to create a wide range of highly differentiated products.
Ambarella will demonstrate the S3L IP camera platform at the 2015 China Public Security Expo to be held in Shenzhen, China, Oct. 29 – Nov. 1.
S3L Feature Summary:
- H.265 (HEVC) and H.264 (AVC) encoding up to 5Mp30 video.
- Multiple and simultaneous H.265 and H.264 streams with independent resolution, frame rate and quality configurations.
- Image Sensor Pipeline (ISP) with SLVDS/MIPI®/HiSPi™ supporting up to 14-Megapixel resolution.
- Line-interleaved, multi-exposure High Dynamic Range (HDR).
- Motion-compensated 3D noise reduction with de-ghosting to enhance low-light performance.
- Hardware-accelerated de-warping for 180-degree fisheye lenses.
- 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A9 CPU with L2 cache and floating point, NEON DSP acceleration and AES/3DES/SHA-1/MD5 encryption engine.
- Interfaces include Ethernet, USB 2.0 host/client, HDMI® 2.0, SDXC SD™ card, SPI, I2S and I2C.
- Low-power 28nm silicon technology.
- Package size: S3LM: 11x11 mm, S3L: 14x14 mm.
Pricing and availability information can be obtained directly from Ambarella at: www.ambarella.com/about/contact/inquiries